Free Web Counters
Web Counters
The F BombCast: A Drop in the Bucket

Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Drop in the Bucket

This week I decided to drop two books from my pull list. That got me thinking two things: 1) How do we come up with a pull list and 2) when do we make the decision to drop a book. I found that the two go hand in hand. A very wise man told me that only books that you look forward to each month should be on your pull list. This is where the completist collector part of me and the fanboy conflict. When I gave it a serious look I found I was dropping money on books that I wasn't really enjoying simply because I felt I had to. I have since seen the error of my ways. To that end my two drops were

Cable

I really wanted to like this. I'm an X-Men nut and I really dug Messiah Complex so I was interested to see where they took the story. The answer. Nowhere. The first arc was 5 issues of Cable and Bishop chasing each other through post-apocalyptic New Jersey. Thats it. I'm all for decompressed storytelling but this arc moved at the pace of a special olympic marathon runner. The art by Ariel Olivetti was really annoying no one looks like that. I was ready to drop this after the second issue but I thought it was a part of the overall X-Men universe and I had to keep buying it. I have seen the error of my ways.

Iron Fist

Let me say first off I have been loving this book under Fraction,Brubaker and Aja. Honestly though I am a fan of the creative team not the character. Since they have departed as of the last issue I will be going with them. Interestingly enough the new head writer is Duane Swierncynski who also writes Cable. Since I don't particularly care for that book and am dropping it I see no reason to think I'd like him on this one. Also the preview art looks like in a word four color vomit.

Avengers Invaders

I haven't dropped it yet butits on the bubble. Jim Krueger while a competent storyteller is verbose to Chris Claremont levels of exposition and so far its been three issues of Capatin America calling everyone Nazis. I'm enjoying the Twelve and even Project Superpowers a hell of alot more. Krueger, Ross and Co. are getting one more issue to develop an actual point to this series or I'm jumping off.

Bottom line I am reevaulating my pull list criteria which will enhance my reading pleasure and hopefully save me a few bucks.

No comments: