Free Web Counters
Web Counters
The F BombCast: In Defense of Judd Winick

Monday, July 14, 2008

In Defense of Judd Winick

Its been almost a month and the Judd Winick bashing from Heroes Con is still sticking in my craw. That and alot of the reviews I'm reading have convinced me that the man just isn't getting a fair shake. Today's post will therefore be me getting my Judd's back and and in general review of Green Arrow/Black Canary so far.

Let me say from the outset I am a Winick fan. His Batman stuff was quite enjoyable and I have enjoyed his take on the Green Arrow charcater. The biggest complaint seems to be with the tone of the series. Basically that the humorous quips and banter don't fit with what the series should be. Have any of you naysayers read anything by Joss Whedon or Keith Giffen or even Kevin Smith during his run? Same deal folks. Yes Connor getting shot was a dramatic event but darkening the series would not have worked. The overall issue where Connor was shot was dealt with appropriately. Green Arrow screaming "CLARK" from Paradise Island so loud that Superman hears him in Metropolis was classic. The reactions of the JLA to one of their teammates in pain was also far better than any of the Super Friendsesque garbage being written in JLA these days. The scene where Ollie cradles the brain dead Connor in his arms and says "Shhh Daddy's here son" is one of the most touching scenes I have ever read in a comic book.

The humor is sarcasm/pop culture reference which is my favorite. It may not be quite as witty as Whedon but it still works. The best thing about the book though is that it is a family book. Not family like Cosby show but the Green Arrow family. Ollie, Dinah, Mia, Roy and Connor are a family and that shows. Its not dark like a Batman book nor as hokey as some of the Superman titles but it works.

Bottom line, and this goes to my point from last week, its a book I look forward to each week. I would also be remiss if I did not give a shout out to Mike Norton for his terrifc pencils. Green Arrow may no longer be the uptight voice of the anti-establishment as much as he was during the Denny O'Neil years but he doesn't need to be anymore. Its smart and entertaining and that should be enough.

Later

Kevin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Kevin has just had a Judd Winick man crush ever since "The Real World".